Re-exploring Key West

Sunday, October 5, 2014

National Dollhouse Miniature Month - Day 5 - Birthday Swaps

As one gets older, birthdays seem to take a back seat to real life.   There might be a cake or a dinner out, but you generally get those things you need and many of those that you just want.  
 
I belong to several online miniature groups and one of them, Swap Shop, hosts a Birthday Swap each year.   I must admit I wasn't too thrilled about it for several years but in 2010 I participated (I might have done it the year before, but I can't find pictures).   The rules are not difficult and in a nutshell - You sign up in September and early October for things you want.   You list your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices (mine this year were Raggedy Ann, Antique Shop or Dress Shop.   I would accept either 1/12 scale or 1/4 scale for all those categories.)   The sign up ends mid October and you have until Mid December to mail them to the swap hostess.  The swap hostess sorts all the items out and just before your birthday you get a box with all your gifts.    Now here is a celebration where you get things you want, in the scale you want, by people who enjoy miniatures like you do.   Really brings the joy of birthdays back.



2010
 
I wanted Raggedy Ann, Mary Englebreit and a misc items for my birthday.   As you can see, I got a lot of items.   That year my requests were all 1/12 scale

 
 
2011
 
Still interested in Raggedy Ann, but in both scales and lots of antique items  along with lots of books.   Lots of goodies!!!!
 

 
 

 
 
 
2012
 
No surprises here - see the Raggedy Ann items.   Still lots of shops and antiques.   Passions for those items are still very strong.  
 
 
 
 
2013
 
Oops!
I forgot to take a group pictures.   You will see lots of things in 1/4 scale.   Still love Raggedy Ann, food, shops and especially antique items.   
 













 
2014
 
Still enjoying all the things that I receive in the Birthday swap.   Raggedy Ann is always in my thoughts and antique shops and galleries.   Don't know why there isn't a group picture.   I will try to do better next year. 
 
 








 
 
2015 is coming right along.   People are still signing up.   I have checked on those requests in the database and will start making and assembling items just as soon as the swap closes.   Stay tuned and see what I get next year. 



No comments: