Re-exploring Key West

Friday, October 3, 2014

National Dollhoue Miniature Month - Day 3 - Sarasota's Circus in Miniature

For years, I ran up and down I-75 from Key West to see my son who was attending University of South Florida in Tampa.   Every time I passed the Sarasota exits, I had a little pain.   I knew there was a lovely miniature circus at the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus Museum.   It would have to wait.   I was either in a big hurry to see my son or a big hurry to get home.   After I retired, I found out about the Molly Cromwell Miniature Show in Sarasota and decided I would attend.   I had this mission - I had to leave early enough from Key West to reach the Museum about 3 p.m. so I would have at least 2 hours to see the circus   I left Key West at 4 am and made the museum about 3.   I was in awe.   I knew in my heart it would be fantastic; but wow - never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be so terribly enraptured with the museum. 
 
That first year, I didn't see anything other than the circus display, but the following time I went to a show, the hotel was closer to the museum and I spent several hours at the circus and a bit longer touring the rest of the museum.   All worth the time to go and see it.
 
First; the circus model is "The Howard Bros. Circus Model" and not the Barnum & Bailey Circus.   Early on, the use of Barnum & Bailey was denied and the "Howard Bros. Circus" stuck.
 
There are books and many pictures of this circus; I will share some of my favorites.    
 
 Lion Tent - lots of people in the grandstands
 Everyone loves a circus. 
 Lots of animals required at a circus.
 Here's the Tent Entrance.   Always exciting at a circus. 
 Parking outside the circus. 




 Tent to feed all the circus performers, workers etc. 

Circus workers need shaves and haircuts too. 
This is just a small taste of what you will see at the museum.   If you're traveling up and down I 75 near Sarasota - find a few minutes and stop and see this museum.   It is worth the time.   I think it's time for me to go again to see it.
 
 
 
 

No comments: