Re-exploring Key West

Saturday, October 4, 2014

National Dollhouse Miniature Month - Day 4 - The White House in Miniature

The White House Replica created by John, Jan and the Zweifel Family was created during our country's bicentennial.     I had heard of this replica for years.   It toured this country and mostly I was far away from it.   On those rare occasions where I was close to the exhibit, something happened to stop me from attending.    It seemed like it was not to be.   
 
I toured the actual White House many years ago with my son.   It was a wonderful experience.   I love museums, art galleries and historic sites.    My husband and son both hold undergraduate degrees in history.  
 
I knew the actual replica was in Florida - near Orlando.   A few years ago I started going to the miniature show in Orlando in February and in 2012 Molly Cromwell arranged a side trip to see the replica.   I don't really like to drive at night to locations that I know nothing about so I bummed a ride with a couple that was going on the side trip. 
 
It was absolutely wonderful.   Before I post my pictures, I will refer you to a book.   The White House in Miniature  by Gail Buckland, published by W. W. Norton & Company.   Great book.  This replica is 1 inch scale meaning each inch represents 1 foot.   It is a fantastic exhibit.   It's located in Clermont Florida which is about 30 miles from Orlando.  
 
Next time you want to take the kids or grand kids to Disney World, make an excursion and see a truly fascinating exhibit.  
 







It is truly a wonderful exhibit.  

1 comment:

me said...

The Presidents Hall of Fame in Clermont, Florida thepresidentshalloffame.com