Re-exploring Key West

Friday, October 10, 2014

National Dollhouse Miniature Month - Day 10 - where do you meet fellow miniaturists?

A little over a month ago I went to Home Depot to have a board cut.   I was rearranging some fun day projects and came up with a BRILLIANT idea.   I found the board I wanted and took it to the saw.   A man was waiting at the saw.    I asked him if someone was coming and he said yes.   A little chit-chat and he asked what I was going to do with the board.   I told him I did miniatures and was rearranging some.   He does miniatures.    He hadn't heard of me and I hadn't heard of him.   Key West is a small island - about 2 x 4 square miles.  It has lots of tourists but only about 25,000 permanent residents.   I've done shows and so has he.   He has been here all his life and I've been here 20 years.   Imagine that - I thought I had a larger reputation than that. 
 
We were talking as fast as possible, the Home Depot guy was probably wondering what was wrong with these two people   We were pulling out i-phones, comparing pictures, exchanging names and phone numbers etc.     I had to go to a different saw, he accompanied me and we still talking a mile a minute.   His name was Ronny Bailey. 
 
He and his lovely wife Stephanie have been to my home to see my miniatures and this is a preview of his show.    He recreates in miniature historic sites in Key West and South Florida.  

Replica of 510 Margaret Street - Key West
After I got all these nice photos from Stephanie, she posted the following one on Facebook and I appropriated it because it give the Artist and the scale of his work.   I think it's wonderful. 
 
 Yellow tail

 Inside of Yellow tail
Back wall of yellow tail:
 
 
 
 Ms. Butler's House
 Ms. Butler's House


 Sanchez Fish Market


Inside the Fish House
 
 Ronny's exhibit opening is Friday Oct 10, 2014  6-7 PM  at the Customs House  and runs through Feb 5, 2015.

 
 

1 comment:

The grandmommy said...

I love those kinds of meetings! I feel they were just meant to be! His work is really great!